List of available Indian language fonts for scripts encoded in Unicode.
Only Unicode encoded TTFs, Unicode encoded Opentype to be included here.
For each font put name - url for download for individual file or tarball/zip for font collection.
Put license wrt each font/set ( GPL/LGPL/OSS/ PROP - non-commercial read-only free download ).
Commercial fonts not to be included.
On Gnu/Linux distributions, Lohit series is the default font for almost all Indian languages.
On Debian based systems: 'apt-get install fonts-indic' to get all FOSS Indian language fonts
- Lohit Assamese , see Lohit collection.
- Mukti Narrow - http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/WebPage/Font/Mukti/MuktiNarrow.ttf (GPL)
- Likhan - http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/WebPage/Font/Likhan/LikhanNormal.ttf, http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/WebPage/Font/Likhan/LikhanNormal.otf (GPL)
- Jamrul - http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/WebPage/Font/Jamrul/JamrulNormal.ttf (?)
- Hortuki - http://www.stat.wisc.edu/~deepayan/Bengali/WebPage/Font/Jamrul/JamrulNormal.ttf (?)
- Samyak Sans - http://www.gnowledge.org/Gnoware/localization/SamyakSans_Font/new/SamyakSans_Bengali.ttf (GPL)
- SolaimanLipi, Rupali - http://www.ekushey.org/projects/otf_bangla_fonts/ (GPL)
- Lohit Devanagari - see Lohit series.
- AksharYogini Font set - Normal,Bold,Italic,Bold-Italic Free for use, readonly.
- AksharYogini2 (normal) (SIL OFL)
- Chandas (GPL)
- Gargi 2.0 (GPL)
- Gurmaa (GPL)
- Osho (GPL)
- Samyak (GPL)
- Sarai font (GPL)
- Uttara (GPL)
- Kalimati (PROP)
- Kanjirowa (PROP)
- Jagadamba (PROP)
- Samanata (PROP)
- Sanskrit2003 (PROP)
- Shideva (PROP)
- Shree-3 (PROP)
- Shree-2 (PROP)
- Shree-1 (PROP)
- C-DAC GIST , contains Aishwarya, Ajay, Akshar, Bhima, Devendra, Dhruv, Ganesh, Kishor, Maya, Mohini, Nanda, Raghav,Raman, Sharad, Shweta,Subodh,Suman, Vinay, Vinit, Vishakha (PROP)
- Uttara (from cakram) (GPL)
More here - http://www.devanaagarii.net/fonts/
- Lohit Gujarati - see Lohit collection.
- Samyak - http://www.gnowledge.org/Gnoware/localization/Samyak_Font/new/Samyak_Gujarati.ttf (GPL)
- Padmaa - http://www.janabhaaratii.org.in/janabhaaratii/src/fonts/padmaa_0.7/padmaa.ttf (GPL)
- Rekha - http://www.utkarsh.org/downloads/Rekha-medium.ttf (GPL)
- Aakar - http://www.utkarsh.org/downloads/aakar-medium.ttf (GPL)
- Kalapi - https://github.com/gujaratilexicon/font-kalapi (OFL)
- Saab - First free Gurmukhi font download (GPL)
- AnmolUni - download (GPL)
- Lohit Punjabi - See Lohit collection.
- Raavi - Gurmukhi OTF in MS Windows (PROP)
- Gubbi - https://github.com/aravindavk/Gubbi
- Navilu - https://github.com/aravindavk/Navilu
- Akshar Unicode - http://www.kamban.com.au/
- Arial Unicode - http://salrc.uchicago.edu/resources/fonts/kannadafonts.html (PROP)
- JanaKannada - http://tdil.mit.gov.in/download/janakannada.htm (PROP)
- Sampige - http://salrc.uchicago.edu/resources/fonts/kannadafonts.html (GPL) (This is an incomplete font)
- Tunga - http://salrc.uchicago.edu/resources/fonts/kannadafonts.html (PROP) - (Shipped with Microsoft Windows)
- Mallige - http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/brahmi/kanotf.zip?download (GPL)
- Kedage - http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/brahmi/kanotf.zip?download (GPL)
|Meera||Screenfont , Traditional script||6.1||GPL3.0 or later+FE|
|Rachana|| Suitable for Design and print,
|6.1||GPLv2.0 or later+FE ,|
|AnjaliOldlipi||Screenfont, Traditional script||6.1||OFL1.1|
|Chilanka||Handwriting font, Traditional script||2.0||OFL1.1|
|RaghuMalayalam||Screenfont , reformed script||2.0||GPLv2.0|
|Dyuthi||Ornamental font, traditional script||1.0.1||GPLv3 or later+FE|
|Suruma||Traditional script||3.2||GPLv3 +FE|
|Lohit Malayalam||Screenfont , Reformed script||2.920 (Beta-1)||OFL1.1|
- Lohit Oriya - See Lohit collection.
- Utkal - download (GPL, gzip compressed. Best coverage.)
- Samyak Oriya - See Samyak collection.
- Raghu Oriya - download (GPL, works with IndiX, additional work needed to work with other renderers)
- Odia Opentype Jagannatha font source (SIL OFL)
- Samyak Tamil - See Samyak collection below (GPL)
- Lohit Tamil - See Lohit collection.
- Lohit Telugu - see Lohit collection.
- Pothana2000 (default) - http://www.kavya-nandanam.com/Pothana2k-Li.zip (GNU GPL)
- Vemana2000 - http://www.kavya-nandanam.com/Vemana2k-Li.zip (GNU GPL)
- Srujana - TTF never released -  (GNU GPL)
- Ramaneeya Font -  Derived from Lohit Telugu.
- Three classical telugu fonts (Ponnala, RaviPrakash, LakkiReddy) released under SIL OFL (Telugu Vijayam fonts )
I cannot read the Urdu script, and hence cannot comment on the degree of coverage.
There is a SourceForge project, Pakistani Typography, for making GPL fonts in the Arabic script.
- Nafees Nastaleeq -download (Proprietary)
- Nafees Naskh with Arabic support - download (Proprietary)
- Nafees Pakistani Naskh - download (Proprietary)
- Nafees Web Naskh - download (Proprietary)
Another non-free font from urdustan.com.
- AlKatib1 - download (Proprietary)
List of Font collections, which have multiple ranges/languages, within one font family or released as a single collection.
Lohit set of fonts is Indic font collection available in Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora.
Currently, the font family supports 16 Indian languages: Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sindhi, Tamil and Telugu. Now, Fedora Project and its contributors took the responsibility to consolidate the further efforts and improvements of the Lohit fonts.
Various download options for the Lohit fonts are available from the projects home page at:
Individual fonts can be downloaded here Lohit downloads
The fonts are released under GNU GPLv2.
The latest tar ball of the complete set of fonts can be downloaded from here.
GNU FreeFont is a free family of scalable outline fonts, suitable for general use on computers and for desktop publishing. It is Unicode-encoded, with a large coverage of writing systems.
- Download GNU FreeFont (GPL)
Glyph sources for GNU FreeFont as of the May 2012 release. Note that glyphs are typically modified from the original on import to FreeFont, and that glyphs may have been added to (or removed from) a range. * indicates a range under development.
|Script||Free Serif||Free Sans||Free Mono|
|regular||italic||bold||bold italic||regular||oblique||bold||bold oblique||regular||oblique||bold||bold oblique|
|Devanagari||velthuis||velthuis||Gargi 1.9||Gargi 1.9||*|
Samyak series of Open Type fonts currently covers 5 Indic scripts with serif style and 7 with san serif. It also gives a single Multilingual font file covering all the scripts available in the family. So that the multilingual text can be rendered with uniform style and size. Also the user doesn't need to change the font each time the language is changed while editing the document.
A complete list of font files and their associated .sfd file along with the samples for each script are available on the following URL for download.
The project homepage with latest downloads and development related updates can found here:
Fonts released as part of CD releases by TDIL/MIT/CDAC. All this fonts are readonly & free for non-commercial use. Some packages are in windows installer forms.
- Sakal Bharati font with 11 languages (PROP)
- For more fonts visit - http://tdil.mit.gov.in/
Raghu series of fonts for use with Indix (through Internet Archive)
- Includes fonts for 9 scripts, in shipped and with OTF tables (VOLT format?)