Notes for localisation track: IndLinux meet, 16/17 May, 2009
Runa - Bengali India
- initially ankur ( india, bd worked together) , later went different ways bn_IN, bn_BD ..
- 3-4 active translators.
- Could do translation sprints/reviews
- Deployment : some initiatives in Bangladesh ( BD govt )
- Inscript keymap not updated
- Rendering issues, mostly in QT application
- refer slides for rest
Ravishankar - Chattisgarhi L10N
- script to convert hindi words to HNE words
- available as KDE4 package for windows
- Not yet released in KDE 4.x officially (need to check on that)
- Take advantage of leverage to get standardization early on.
Sandeep - Marathi
- Working all alone for most of marathi work.
- For FUEL Marathi
- Need to find people who would be interested in a 1-2 day session
- Identify organizations/persons who can play active role in Marathi L10N.
- Have a planning meeting on 6th June (before or after PLUG meet), if enough interested people are available.
FUEL project: Jaswinder
- Idea is to improve consistency, and standardisation for localisation work across languages.
- Currently, eight languages in FUEL.
- Hindi, and Marathi evaluation in progress.
- Project hosted on fedorahosted.org: https://fedorahosted.org/fuel
- Mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IRC: #fuel-discuss on Freenode
- Ticketing system integrated into fedorahosted Wiki.
- Future of FUEL:
- IRC bot to reply about entries for each language
- Cross-platform database format for FUEL
- Online FUEL entries search facility. Sarai to help with this.
- Entries to be added from different paltforms, and different desktop environments.
- 25-30 active people
- Have a participative process
- collaborate through wiki
- Own glossary defined
- Do 1-2 rounds of review before checkins
- Need testing process - esp visual context for strings
- No visible users - dont feel need to use ml interface!
- Translation inconsistency issues to be solved.
- Not satisfied with quality & usability of the localized desktop.
Shweta Kothari, Kartik Mistry, Ankit Patel
- New Unicode font Kalapi to be released under GPL
- Need more fonts (also a workshop on how to make fonts)
- Some conjuncts to resolve in fonts
- Need some way to track changes in base stuff (like fonts), in different distributions
- eg. debian has package watch for changes in packages..eg need syncing b/n debian & fedora
- Gujarati lexicon is available, though not FOSS words can be used in spellchecker
- Gnome, KDE, OpenOffice, Firefox localization is on.
- Swecha group (swecha.org) did earlier work.
- People around & Work in progress
- TamizhLinux yahoo group - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/tamilinix
- Thamizha Group - Open office, Firefox
- ILUGC, Ubuntu Tamil Team - Conducts Public/ Academic events Ubuntu-Debian-Fedora
- KDE translation KDE translation
- GNOME Tamil Translation - Felix & other Technical works - Red Hat
- Gcompris, Debian Installer - T Vasudevan
- NRCFOSS - Hosts Events & Supports initiative
- Others - CDAC, IITs, Anna Univ, Tamil University - Scattered resources, INFINIT projects levels?
- SriLanka - Moodle translation & Malaysian people -
- GNU Website Translation - Published as book
- Tamil e-zine
- Tamil type writing app - Mohan
- Ubuntu Book - Padhu & Kanagaraj
- Spell Checker - Selvam Siva
- Fonts - Suji
- Frequently Used Words 1 2 - FUEL?
- Persuade people who have done linguistic work already to release under Opensource - Anna Univ - Tamil Morpological Analyser, Stemmer, Dictionary - Smt. Bama & Dr. Ranjani Parthasarathy
- LAKapps project - Software Localization (Joomla!, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thuderbird, Squirrel Mail, Horde), Localized Manuals (Moodle, Joomla!, Firefox, Thunderbird)
- Localization support- Tamil Information Interchange standardization, Tamil Unicode standardization and Tamil collation standardization - SLS 1326
- Tamil IDN - LK Domain Registry
- Translation Workshops - Manual - Guideline in Tamil
- Monthly Meetings
- Revolve around supportive organisation - NRCFOSS, Sarai, Tamil VU? - look out for Students
- Continue Public events
- Work together with other Language groups - Already with SMC - Fonts workshop, Dhvani conducted - Redhat?
- Approach media Makkal TV, Anna Univ, Academicians for support
- Publish Book - Ubuntu Hand book, Fedora Hand book etc.,
- A foundation
- Manoj Giri
- Need more active ppl to work on it
- Glossary to be updated
- an online translation interface would help - setup entrans/pootle.